Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Away From Her

Last night the gang and I took in a viewing of Away From Her (read Ebert's review), in which Julie Christie's character, Lara, falls in love with a married Russian doctor, and their torrid and snowy affair frames the tumultuous Bolshevik Revolution.

Wait, sorry, wrong snow-drenched, sad, Julie Christie film.



Actually, the movie was fabulous. It was directed by Sarah Polley, and hit home pretty hard. My family on both my mother's and my father's sides has been hit by Alzheimer's, and one of my biggest fears is that I will get the disease, too. I would hate to have to put T (my partner) through that.

There were some gut-wrenching scenes. The most difficult scene for me happened early in the film as the husband sat and watched a holiday dinner taking place at the home where he was going to place his wife. Gradually, each patient's family finished their time there, said their goodbyes, and took their leave, leaving the patients to their loneliness and their confusion.

I myself have left my grandmother at many of those holiday dinners, and it was just too accurate. I highly recommend you rent this film. It provides such a clear picture into the way this disease can strike a family, and Julie Christie is elegant and shines, and, I imagine, will be nominated and/or win many acting awards.

3 comments:

Long said...

I agree with you. It's one of the more profoundly sad films I've seen in a while.

The film also underscores to me how much (as a society) we still don't understand about mental disorders. Sure, the recognition and understanding of mental disorders has changed over time, but we're still far from legitimizing mental illnesses on the same level as physical illnesses.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like an incredible movie. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Jack said...

Seithman, it really is a sweet and touching film. Julie Christie is heart breaking, and you gotta love Olympia Dukakis! Thanks for the message.