Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ma, You Will Be Missed


Estelle Getty died today. The Golden Girls is in my top 5 of all time favorite tv shows, and this news makes me very sad. I loved Sophia Petrillo and her ability to utter the most malicious and vicious of cut downs to her roommates.

Some great quotes from IMDB:

Sophia: I can't believe it. Esther Weinstock is dead.
Dorothy: Oh I'm so sorry Ma, How'd it happen?
Sophia: [sarcastically] She was fighting an oil rig fire in the Gulf of Mexico.
[agitated]
Sophia: SHE WAS 88!
Rose: Well, it's good that she kept fighting right up to the end.


Rose: Everybody likes me.
Sophia: I don't!
Rose: Oh, you just say that Sophia.
Sophia: REPEATEDLY!


Blanche: Are you implying I lost my virginity at an early age?
Sophia: I'm just saying you're lucky Jack-&-Jill magazine didn't have a gossip column.


And one of my all time favorites:

Blanche: I don't really mind Clayton being homosexual, I just don't like him dating men.
Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this "gay thing" yet, have you, Blanche?
Blanche: Well there must be homosexuals who date women.
Sophia: Yeah. They're called lesbians.

We miss you, Ma!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite line from that show was the episode where Sophia says (not an exact quote), "Great, I'm gone for a few day and the slut starts acting dumb and the dumb one starts acting slutty."

Anonymous said...

My all time favorite, although it doesn't include Sophia:

Rose: Is it possible to love two men at the same time?

Blanche: Set the scene, have we been drinking?

Long said...

stopping by to pay my respect. oh, sophia, we'll miss you.