Friday, December 14, 2007

Jodie Foster: COME OUT!



This morning, T and I were watching one of my favorite shows, Good Morning America (Robin, we're pulling for ya!!), and on their "news" crawl, we saw a headline that says something like Jodie Foster acknowledges she is a lesbian after 15 years of being with her partner Cydney Bernard. I was so excited! I said, "hey, finally, she's come out, and we can all breathe a sigh of relief."

T said that that's not news because he'd heard her say this last week, and I had too because it was all over Perez Hilton, etc. About a week ago, she thanked Ms. Bernard in an award acceptance speech. She never mentioned the word lesbian or partner, just said something about Cydney being with her a long time.

I thought that for this new ABC headline, what had happened was that Jodie had finally given an interview or revealed this truth in some reputable article or news outlet, confirming the gossip from last week.

It turns out, CNN ran a report about this same acceptance speech last night; they're a week late! And now, because CNN said it, the other news media folks are reporting it as news. Nothing has changed -- no confirmation, no scoop, no public acknowledgment, no kissing, no article with The Advocate. Still just a simple thank you in a speech.

So, Perez Hilton and the gossip blogosphere scooped the "real" news.

My point really is not to debate the relevance of CNN vs. Perez or to discourse on what is "news." That's for like a real serious-minded blog, something like Some Guys Are Normal (check it out!!). I just want to tell Jodie to come out. I wonder if she's a reader here at The Pink Armageddon?

Jodie: COME OUT! In a perfect world, you're right, we wouldn't have to. But the more middle America sees us in all sorts of positions, the easier it would be. You are a great actress, a good director, and a good mom. You're smart. You are in a powerful position. You HAVE to be a role model, whether you want to be or not. COME OUT, and make it easier for the next kid down the line. It's not a perfect world yet, so help us out. Go tell Diane Sawyer or Oprah about it.

There, I've said it. If you want, The Pink Armageddon would be a great place for an exclusive interview. Email me, and I'll set it up.

PS. Congrats on the Golden Globe Nom!

3 comments:

August said...

The fact that you and the ol' man actually watch Good Morning America in the morning makes me giggle.

My mornings usually consist of: sleep in to last minute, shower, dress, hair, drive the 1.5 miles to work, get something in the store, read blogs, work.

So, I guess I just choose my morning entertainment differently.

Jack said...

Welcome to The Pink Armageddon, August. Everyone, check out his blog at www.notethisblog.com. We're life long friends! And yes, August, I love me some TV -- so much so that I have to have it on as soon as my alarm goes off. And GMA is one of my all time faves. I have a crush on Diane Sawyer. And that hottie Sam Champion, yeowsah!

Anonymous said...

I like how she is a a great actress but only a good director.